Friday, March 13, 2020

QUARANTINED

My husband is 80; I am 79. We are elderly and we both have an  "underlying condition" that makes us vulnerable to the coronavirus. What elderly person doesn't?  Mine is IPF, a chronic lung disease.  

We have decided to self-isolate for at least the next two weeks. How hard can this be? We are both introverts, although I must say my husband is becoming more like his gregarious dad these days--striking up conversations with strangers he encounters here and there. Still, being confined to the house should be a minor problem for both of us. We can still take walks around the neighborhood, we like to read, we have Netflix. He does an online Spanish lesson every day and I'm thinking of getting back to my on-line Algebra 1 course.

One thing I could do more is blog. I've gotten out of the habit.  The past year has been difficult, not only because I lost my claim to be a healthy geezerette but also because we have a couple of close family members who suffer from chronic anxiety and depression. Unfortunately, I let their problems--about which I can do nothing--take up too much room in my brain, leaving little energy for anything else. This is a bad habit. I need to blog more and fret less. 

Tomorrow there was to have been a memorial service at our church for two lovely ladies, former parishioners, who moved to Tennessee and whose ashes have now come back to us in a couple of small boxes. They were an 89-year-old British war bride and her daughter, who had Downs Syndrome and lived at home her whole life. She was either in her late 50's or early 60's. I would have learned her age tomorrow from the service bulletin, but the service will have to be rescheduled.  This past Thursday, the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington closed all the churches for the next two weeks. 

Maryland schools have also been closed for a couple of weeks. Our younger daughter, who lives in Virginia, fully expects to have the kids home with her the next two weeks as well. 

8 comments:

  1. We are living in scary times indeed. do what you can to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 75 and hubby is 83, he has had heart problems but nothing right now. we stopped going out to eat and no crowded places, but we are still going to the YMCA pool to swim each morning, and he flies his little planes in the park, but we stay away from people. we are both ok with no people contact. Florida has about shut down everything from theme parks to baseball. canceled all the races and just about every thing. I think you are doing the right thing, it hits people with lung problems really hard.. a few weeks off will be good for you.. I have a son who is bi polar, suffers from depression and he is married to a wife that has the same thing. I feel your pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, make sure to stay safe. We just got notification that our schools are shut down for 2 weeks. Should be an interesting time. Definitely a good time to get back into blogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's up to us, the population, to be as smart as we can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In general I think that the corona virus scare has been blown way out of proportion but when you already has health or respiratory issues it is better to be on the safe side.I hope you find plenty to occupy your time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care of yourselves in this difficult time,

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I’m sad for the reason behind your renewed blogging, I’m so glad you’re back and in fine form.

    ReplyDelete