Saturday, March 21, 2020

Messing Around in the Kitchen

Being elderly and at risk for having the coronavirus arrange for us to meet Mitzi, Wilbur, Joey, Arlo, Ramsey, Miss Kitty, Orville and Reuben on the Rainbow Bridge, we are not leaving the house to shop for groceries. Peapod, the delivery service of our local Giant supermarket, will deliver our order next Tuesday between 4 and 10 PM. We placed the order last Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm trying, really trying, not to waste food. So when I found an ancient zucchini moldering away in the vegetable drawer,  I sauteed it and added it to a medley of frozen corn, canned diced tomatoes, canned black beans, and cheese. I  topped my creation with seasoned bread crumbs, but just before I popped it into the oven, I was seized with doubt.

Was that really a zucchini or was it a cucumber?

I summoned Himself and asked his opinion.

"What are my choices?" he asked, guardedly.

"It's either a zucchini or a cucumber. I'm hoping it's a zucchini."

He sampled a piece of the vegetable in question, looking somewhat like a lizard savoring a bug. "I'd say it's a cucumber."

"Guess again!" I commanded sternly.

"But it could be a zucchini. Yeah, that's it. It's a zucchini," he conceded, wisely.

He could see I wasn't convinced.

"Whichever it is, it'll be good," he said. He meant it, too. He's not fussy.

But I am. I'm not happy that I went to all this trouble for an aging cucumber.



10 comments:

  1. One good thing that may come out of this is an overall reduction in food waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat what you get and don't have a fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have someone who isn't fussy about what they eat. My husband was horrible. I never would have been able to get him to try something like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be Thankful for what you get to eat. I ate beans and rice for about a month once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are living in a weird world where we hunger for toilet paper but can't tell the difference between cucumber and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for making me smile. I needed it. here in our town the shelves are empty, we have food for 2 weeks if we are careful. I live with a man who refused to cut back on the amount he is eating. we shall see how he likes dry cheerios 3 meals a day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, think of it this way. Cucumbers and zucchini are not related (although they look similar). But I have a feeling your meal ended up OK either way - perhaps if it was a cucumber it was just a little more watery. But fine. Your ingredients sound good. A lot of people are going to learn to make do and not waste food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least it didn't go to waste? Glad you have groceries coming. I heard the wait times are long. But better to have gotten in queue already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're great at assembling odds and ends into something yummy! I remember the Mexican-Italian concoction you made out of leftivers at the beach last year. We all wanted seconds. But anyway, I can 100% picture this exchange between you and Dad. I can also see it as a little vignette between Lucy and Charlie Brown. :)

    ReplyDelete