Sunday, March 29, 2020

Puzzle Me This


This week I've been working on a puzzle. The first day or two,  I am always totally convinced that I have bought a defective puzzle with quite a few missing pieces. As I struggle, I mentally compose an angry letter of complaint to send to the manufacturer, together with a photo of the "completed" puzzle with missing pieces.

 This puzzle was supposed to be easy!  It has only 500 pieces. It is a "large-piece-format" puzzle, with pieces that are "easy to see and handle." But why are so many pieces missing???  This puzzle was not cheap, so there should be better quality control!


Several days pass and I begin to clam down.  Half the puzzle has been completed and all the "missing" pieces have been hunted down and put in place. But now comes the real test of my patience.  Have I told you that patience is not my long suit?  See all those Italian villas on the hillside?  "Large" though the pieces may be, making out the architectural details--itty-bitty shutters, miniature door ways, tiny plants, miniscule windows, barely-visible balcony furniture--is going to be a challenge. It may take me more than a week to conquer the hillside. I have time, plenty of time. 

10 comments:

  1. We have a couple of puzzles "somewhere" in our house. It's been years! I know many people are doing puzzles but I've been spending too much time online. Have tons of books at home - haven't picked up one; don't have the concentration. Puzzles are a much better idea. With my senior citizen vision, I'd have the same problem as you - seeing some of the small detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice picture. I would never buy a jigsaw puzzle second hand for fear of real missing pieces, not the ones you are sure are missing in a new puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puzzles seem to be a popular pastime, at least from the blogs I've seen. I gave away a bunch of puzzles last year. I know how tricky those can be. It's a nice change of pace, though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is alone in her apartment. She ordered a couple of puzzles to help pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What! You sorted out that blue in half the puzzle and are intimidated by the villas! Did I ever tell you about my oldest granddaughter, who has put puzzles together upside down, since the age of two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puzzles make me crazy, the only ones I have ever completed were the ones my kids had made out of wood and only 6 pieces to fit in the slot shaped like it. I have completed 3 only of a bloggers online puzzles she shares with us. you might like Yam's puzzles and you can't lose the pieces . I smiled all the way through this post, as I can feel your pain and missing pieces puzzleness. ha ha. go to to this blog https://inimaynaelcammeno.blogspot.com/2020/03/menocreatikul-how-we-doin.html and half way down her side bar you will see her online puzzles, 132 and 74. you can pick hard or easy and it times how fast you can do them. I am mortifed at how long it Tooke me to do one 50 piece. per your comment, I am jealous of my husbands hair also. make that envious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have't done a puzzle in a very long time. It was always frustrating to get to the end and discover a piece is missing. I'm glad you found all your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ironically I asked for a puzzle for Christmas and I got 3. They are all 1000 pieces. I am on the first one, working at it slowly. I find I can't sit at it for more than 45 minutes at a time before my neck tells me it is unhappy. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the pizza would be good with ground turkey, or use riced cauliflower as the crush. any veggies would be good.. I used to use ground turkey but we got tire of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have three to do. I won't be happy is there are ANY missing pieces. Very frustrating, indeed. (Maybe Dilly had a little snack!

    ReplyDelete