Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Hoarder, Part 1 of 4


 About five years ago, our younger daughter suggested we both write a short story. She'd found an online site that provided opening lines of stories to help you get started. That day's opener is in bold print below.  I don't know what became of her short story, but I hung on to mine. I'm sharing it now, in four parts.  I hope you'll like it.

He looked at his phone, turned pale, then quickly left the room. She watched him, smiling.  She felt a small ping of happiness at the sight of his distress.

"Lighten up," she called after him cheerily. "It's only Dr. Thimble. There's nothing to be upset about. Just answer the damn phone."

They had been seeing Dr. Thimble for nearly three months.  It had been her idea. Milton wanted things to stay the way they were.  During their sessions, he often felt cornered by the two of them.  The previous week, Dr. Thimble finally asked Milton if he wanted to save his marriage. Milton appeared to be lost in thought until he sensed Martha's wrathful glare. He mumbled, "Uh, yeah, sure."  He sat up straighter in his chair and tried to look amenable, all the time picturing how much fun it would be to stop at the "Fifty-Family Yard Sale" on the way home.

"So you agree that the condition of your house has become unmanageable," Dr. Thimble was saying.

"Uh, yeah, I guess so," replied Milton.

"And you say you are ready to get help in managing the problem," Dr. Thimble went on.

"Uh, yeah, probably."

"Then let's get started.  I'll contact a company I work with and get back to you.  How does that sound?" asked the psychologist. Milton saw that Martha was beaming and shifted uneasily in his chair.

"Yeah, sure, OK."

So now Dr.. Thimble was phoning to say that he had hired "The Junkers" to haul unwanted clutter away.  They would arrive at 9 AM on Monday morning. Dr. Emily Lessing, an expert on "decision trees," would accompany them.

"So we'll see you early Monday morning," chirped Dr. Thimble brightly. "Have a good weekend." 

8 comments:

  1. You have my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, nice start. Can't wait to read part 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent I don't know where I would have gone with that opening line I love it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of trauma to come, I'm sure. Hoarders don't want to get rid of their junk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a very sad hoarding story with one of my spouse's elderly aunts and her son, who lived with her all his life. Nothing I can blog about as some family reads my blog, but I have seen where a situation like this could go and its tragic. I'm sure lots of pain lies ahead in the other three parts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling things aren't going to go as well as Martha anticipates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to hear more. I am fabric hoarder...

    ReplyDelete