Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Dances with the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles

                                                                 

 
  • I recently danced a crazy fandango with the MD DMV.                                  August 3, 2020:  MD DMV sent me application for my 2022 registration sticker renewal. I filled out application and mailed it plus a check for $155.                   
  • August 10-August 24:  Where's my sticker? It should be here by now. I checked my bank balance on line daily to see if check had cleared. DMV had not cashed check. I think the application and check could be lost. I don't put a "stop payment" on check because. with the pandemic, who knows what's going on at the DMV? My current registration will lapse on 8/31.                                                         
  • August 25: DMV sends me new application. So the first application and check must have been lost.  I mail another application and check. 
  • August 31:  sticker and registration arrive at the very last minute.                                     
  • September 8: I routinely check my bank balance. I see that a check for $155 has been cashed, but this is odd. It's the first check I wrote. I look at a photocopy, front and back. The DMV deposited check # 1 on August 13th.  Why didn't they send me my 2022 sticker in mid-August?  I assume the DMV will soon return check # 2 to me.                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  • September 10:  the DMV cashes check # 2. I send a letter to the DMV, asking them to refund the second check.                                                                                  
  • September 11: I receive a letter from the MD Department of Transportation admonishing me that "it is too early to renew this vehicle. This vehicle may have already been renewed at a branch, kiosk, or online." They will refund the second check, but it will take 3-4 weeks.                                                                                           
  • October 9: refund arrives from DMV. 


 

14 comments:

  1. Oh my word! My frustration is bleeding out into the computer right now just reading this. The world has gone completely mad and I think it's all covid-19 related. I'm actually surprised that they did give you the refund so glad you finally got it back and it is a dance to do everything from Healthcare to veterinarian care to just walking in the store and buying something

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least they gave you a refund for the second cheque, even if they admitted no fault!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia:

    The DMV can sure be frustrating, that is certain. Yet, fortunately with patience and fortitude (both of which you showed well), it was EVENTUALLY resolved successfully. I am glad.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to love government bureaucracy (you know I'm being sarcastic, right?). What an ordeal. I'm glad for you that it finally worked itself right; no one needs this kind of stress, especially now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. Just gotta love it when it takes forever to get it done, and then you pay twice. Glad they issued the refund so easily. (And yes, with the DMV, October is kinda easily.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be fair, the department was dealing with a difficult case, that is someone renewing their car registration. New procedures and processes had to be developed just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I understand. However, they need to do better with their development of new procedures and processes.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, what a dance that was. I always renew my vehicle registration online. It's quick and easy. These days with the mail you n ever know how long it will take to get where it's going. You're registration is much higher than what ours is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because Maryland drivers like to do crazy stunts, except for me and a few others.

      Delete
  8. Working as I do in accounting for a large company, I can kind of see how some of this would happen. Most big organizations separate out checks and deposit them immediately, and processing whatever paperwork came in with them happens separately thereafter. So your second check would have gone to the bank before they had a chance to realize you'd already renewed your registration. The delays in depositing them are likely due to the slowness of the mail and effects of the pandemic -- at my company everybody is working from home now and somebody goes to the office once a week to look at the incoming mail. I doubt the DMV has gone that far, but there may still be delays.

    Glad you eventually got your refund, anyway. $155 is too much to just let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tension/worry/hassle of getting a refund is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it worked out, but I feel your frustration with it all.

    ReplyDelete