Monday, October 19, 2020

Obnoxious Suburban Wildlife


This summer the squirrels began chewing the welting on our porch furniture. We've had this furniture for 20 years. Mom must have brought it with her when she moved in with us in late August, 1999. I had them reupholstered in white vinyl. The squirrels left them completely alone until this year, which has been a mystery to me. Why are they destroying them now? 

I realize that Phil has increased the number of bird feeders on the porch, and feeders attract (and often frustrate) squirrels. Some of them never stop trying to figure out how to access the seeds, but it's not that easy. Perhaps they're venting their anger on our furniture. 

14 comments:

  1. You shouldn't have reupholstered with the peanut-butter-flavoured vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I hadn't thought of that, but I think you could be right. Sorry now I paid extra for flavored vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking it's not squirrels but rats that's what chews on things here we keep a trap to keep them from doing things like that. I read a thing about the rats are starving and they're going out in two places that they never went to because all the restaurants are closed down and they don't have anything to eat. I don't think the the squirrels would eat the vinyl I may be wrong of course I'm very seldom wrong haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a weird and very annoying thing to happen. I too wondered if some other creature could be guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen a rat in ages. Never saw a raccoon around here. Now and then, we see deer and foxes.

      Delete
  5. I think the rat idea might be right. Because what else has changed? It's rather odd that they would go after it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vinyl is ten years old. Maybe it tastes better.

      Delete
  6. Well that's a mystery. I wonder why they would find them appealing after all these years

    ReplyDelete
  7. We’ve found that every new generation of squirrels attacks food problems in its own way, at least when it comes to bird feeders. Might be that this current batch has different tastes than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A game camera might catch the guilty party in action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squirrels can be so odd and unpredictable. We had a similar occurrence.... one season the squirrels ate our furniture and the stuffing similar to what you experienced. Then a different year the squirrels ate ALL the tips off all our flowers. And then many years thy do nothing except play on the feeders.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete