Saturday, March 6, 2021

Neatness Counts

 Neatness is important to me. After a year of Covid living in a menage a trois (two people and a dog), clutter abounds. It's driving me crazy. My spouse doesn't seem to mind it as much as me. When one pile of stuff threatens to topple over, he just starts a new one. 

We had two vacuums that were beasts. Now that I have less stamina, I no longer want to wrestle with them. Although my husband is more energetic than I, he was becoming less inclined to drag them out. On the suggestion of a fellow blogger, "High Riser," we bought a powerful, lightweight stick vacuum and are very pleased with it. I've already given one of the beasts away. The other will soon follow. 

The new cordless Dyson needs to be recharged.  Our temporary "solution" was to just lay it on the floor and plug it into the nearest outlet, but after a couple of months of tripping over it, we knew we had to find it a permanent home. Our tiny laundry room was the obvious choice, but the builder of our 50-year-old house provided only one outlet, which was already being used by the washer. 

On to "the addition", which we built twenty-five years ago before Mom moved in with us. First, we assumed we'd just screw the docking station directly into the wall, but the "easy" You Tube instructions involved first installing a 4-foot long wooden plank and then mounting the docking station on that. To make things easier for ourselves and also to avoid damaging the wall, we opted to buy a portable stand.

Nothing is ever easy nowadays. There was still a bit of a hassle in the form of "some assembly required". The stand arrived with a large sheet of small-print instructions involving numerous miniscule screws. Oh, the patience of that man! He persevered and soon we had a handy little "tree" that holds not only the vacuum but the attachments as well.  



See what I mean about the clutter? Would anyone like a never-used sewing machine with its own little table? 

10 comments:

  1. I'm pleased it works well for you. We didn't have a problem wall mounting ours. Different building construction I guess. Anyway, yours looks quite neat and aren't they just so much easier to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, our clutter is mine. Magazines, library books, newspapers and the like. I do tidy up once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my house there is clutter just about everywhere. I've tried to eliminate it but I get lazy. I figure I'm the only one who will see it and I will take care of it when I can't stand it any more. Most of it is confined to my craft space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your frustration at clutter. I share it.... to no avail in my own abode.

    There ARE actual neuroscience research studies the DO show that cluttered environments actually cause a rise in stress hormones in the body.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only permit clutter on the kitchen table. When it annoys me, out it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed with your docking station tree! I know what you mean about everything requiring "some assembly" these days. I just bought a new electric skillet and had to put the damn handles and feet on myself, plus the knob for the glass cover! Sheesh, don't manufacturers actually "manufacture" stuff any more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also got a new lightweight vacuum that is so easy I can use it the other one was too heavy for me and Bob really loves us one because it sucks so much better than the other one did but we did our because the old big heavy one died on a switch is the best thing that ever happened to us. I don't have clutter in my house I do let the table get a little bit of clutter but that's the only place. Bob drives me crazy draping towels and shirts on furniture and I go behind him moving them. We have a closet that ours goes in because the person who felt this house was a Closet Freak is the most closet I've ever seen which house make hate the place clutter-free. My grandmother's house had not one single Closet in it it was built in 1920

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clutter has a nasty habit of creeping up on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I wonder at my age why all this stuff.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clutter makes me insane. I created a drawer for my mail to live in so I only have to deal with it once in a while. Glad you found a solution for the vacuum. They can't make it easy, can they?

    ReplyDelete