Thursday, December 27, 2018

In with the New and Out with the Old

We went shopping for a new mattress yesterday at Macy's. I've forgotten how old our old mattress is, but no matter. It was time to replace it. My husband cheerfully noted that this would probably be our last new mattress. (Just as Dilly is probably our last dog-baby.)

Anyway, I'd been dreading the shopping expedition because (1) my husband hates shopping and gets cranky after 10 minutes and wants to leave, and (2) mattress purchases seem to have replaced car purchases as anxiety-generators. Nowadays,  you can order a car and have it delivered to your door while "binging on your favorite TV shows."  Mattresses can arrive that way, too, but you really want to test-drive it before buying.  So you have to go to the store.  And deal with the proliferating varieties of mattresses. Not to mention pushy sales persons. 

It turned out to be SO easy.  Judy, the sales person, asked us what we wanted and helped us narrow down our choices.  I wanted to use our existing headboard, but didn't want it to disappear because of the height of today's mattresses. She suggested a 5-and-1/2-inch-high box spring rather than the traditional 7 and 1/2. We lay on three different mattresses and opted for the springiest. 

While she was writing up the sales contract, she asked if we were willing to provide our e-mail address so that we could receive promotional and sales information from Macy's. Phil said no, we didn't want to be "pestered."  Then he grinned and quickly added, "Not that we think that you would pester us."  Judy threw back her head and laughed. 

12 comments:

  1. Good decision not to opt for the promotional emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you should see my in box from all the places I’ve shopped ...”delete all” is my favorite command.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the stress of finding the right mattress. nearly killed me. he was smart to pass up the email. now every store asks if we want to get our recipet emailed, I just had Salems restaurant ask that, NO I don't want one emailed so you can bombard me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a reason I have a dedicated email address for shopping. I delete dozens of emails from that daily. (I could unsubscribe, but I buy from those places occasionally, so it's nice to have access to coupons when I'm ready to buy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good present for yourselves. This time of a year is a hard time for retail workers. Good that she kept her sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby and I got new to us mattress. Although it took us about 3 days to recover.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad it worked out well! I won't tell you how old my mattress is, but it's still working fine so I'm not about to mess with trying to get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forsythia:

    I laughed when I read what Phil said about being "pestered" and his addendum. He and I share some similarities I think concerning shopping. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sales person Judy sounds excellent.
    Enjoy your comfortable new mattress.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Forsythia. Will you send me an email at jnoragon@gmail, please. I have a question for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are waffling about getting a new mattress. As my husband retired last year and I may be on the cusp, this may well be our last one...while we have an official income, anyway. And, it seems that our last one was purchased over the Washington's Birthday weekend, too. Maybe it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, how's the new mattress working out? Is it comfy? Better than the one it replaced?

    ReplyDelete