Wednesday, December 5, 2018

"I'm Barbara Bush."

We watched President Bush's state funeral today on TV.  I have been to many a funeral at my  Episcopal church in recent years. I became an Episcopalian in 1987. I grew up a Methodist and attended the Presbyterian Church from the time I was in college until maybe the mid-70's, when our pastor had a mid-life crisis and I had had enough.  Anyway, as a newby amongst the "cradle Episcopalians," as they call themselves, I have come to cherish certain words from the service for "The Burial of the Dead" in the Book of Common Prayer:

"For so you did ordain when you created me, saying 'You are dust, and to dust you shall return.' All of us go down to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia." 

Also:  "Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant (name). Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming.

The TV commentators, who blah-blah-blahed throughout the day, sometimes referred to the Bushes as "an American dynasty."  Well, maybe they are, but what sticks in my mind is a story my friend told me about her friend.  This friend went to a quilt show somewhere in the Washington, DC suburbs during the time of Bush 41. Admiring a quilt, she noticed a woman who seemed strangely familiar.  She approached her and said, "Excuse me, you look like someone I should know, but I can't think of your name."

The other woman simply smiled and replied, "I"m Barbara Bush." 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, funny. Your friend probably wasn't expecting to see her, so that's why she couldn't place her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story -- sheesh, who expects to run into the First Lady at a quilt show? Thanks for popping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She did sound like a lovely lady, would have been nice to meet her. No, incroyable isn't an Australian word, it's French, I just enjoy using it ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bush really was down to earth, wasn’t she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a story! Mrs Bush sure handled it well!
    As she did in The Simpsons´ episode Two Bad Neighbors.

    The service was here in German TV, too, live even.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was a hoot, that Barbara Bush. I watched most of the Texas ceremony/funeral service also. And made sure I listened to George W's eulogy for his father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this story. The world as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so sweet, I might have done the same thing, not know who she was. this is my first visit. thanks for the comment yesterday. I just read your bio and also the blurb under your blog name. I was laughing and hubby said what, so I read him your cab driver story. hilarious... love it.... I read about Dilly the fiest and did a search to find the photo. beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to read this …
    Enjoy the up-coming weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete