Monday, December 28, 2009

Like a Yeti

Finally, a break from the constant, severe, unrelenting pain. The visiting physical therapist told me that the pain usually lets up three weeks after surgery and he was right. I'm getting along fine on a few Tylenol a day and have actually enjoyed several pain-free moments.

Just as we were about to leave for our daughter's house on Christmas Day, my hearing aid "stopped listening," as my son-in-law said. The on/off switch had been acting funny for a few weeks, and finally it just quit. So I was pretty out of it during the festivities, except when my live-in hearing aid (Phil) was in the room.

This morning I got an appointment for Wednesday morning with my audiologist. He'll give me a "loaner" until my new aid arrives. I am so happy to be able to even get an appointment between Christmas and New Year's, but here's the thing:

I was already 2 weeks overdue for a haircut when I crashed to the floor on December 1st. Regular haircuts are a must with hair as short and fine as mine. I look like a yeti! I will scare old men, young women, small children and little dogs in oversize handbags as I clank along with my walker on my way from the street into the audiologist's building.  But, as the Japanese would say, "Shikata ga nai." ("It can't be helped.)

My haircutter is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, so I can't even call for an appointment until Wednesday.


6 comments:

  1. You have been through so much!! Goodness, it must have been so hard not to hear on top of everything else.

    Your writing is so humorous.

    I know I always feel better when my hair is cut especially when things feel so out of control. Hope you can get an appointment as soon as you can!

    I am so glad to hear that the pain is letting up some!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was homeless, I went six months without a haircut! lol I looked like something that had literally crawled out of the woods! Glad the pain is easing up. I know that pain all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me 3 weeks to finally be out of pain following my surgery. And the pain got worse before it got better. Maybe this is your turning point.

    I hope you get out for your haircut soon. You always feel better when you look better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear you are having a rough time. That is an awful lot to have to deal with. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and be better about checking in on how you are doing. I wish I could do more. If we lived in closer proximity I would definitely be a good neighbor and come help with anything you need. Love and hugs, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh----life's been so crazy I haven't checked a lot of my favorite blogs in ages so I didn't realize this had happened to you until you mentioned it in a comment on my blog. WHAT a holiday season you have had..... I just got caught up on everything and as always I love your take on life! I'm SO glad you are starting to get some relief from the pain and I hope it continues!! Much love and wishes for a happy (and HEALTHY) new year to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to read that the pain is finally letting up a bit! Hope recovery is far faster than expected!

    ReplyDelete