Monday, June 27, 2022

Why I Called My Blog "Life in Merlin"

Some folks around here live in Merlin, a state adjacent to the District of Columbia. Myself, I used to reside in Maryland. A few years ago I ventured down to DC, as we call it, for lunch with a friend. I parked on Wisconsin Avenue without noticing a small sign waaaay down the street warning anyone congratulating herself on finding a parking spot so close to the restaurant that all parked cars had to be off the street by rush hour. Well, it was a long lunch. When I came out at 4 PM, my battered red Toyota was gone. A taxi cab driver waited nearby, like the spider in the parlor, ready to cart the flies off to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. A Personage in a Suit, who shared our cab, fumed that he "would see about this!" I merely mentioned that I hadn't noticed the sign. The driver replied, "Jes' 'cause you from Merlin don't mean you can pay no-never-mind to them signs." I had to pay $150 to get that old car back.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, so "Merlin" is a regional pronunciation of "Maryland"? Now I get it! My car once got towed in similar circumstances about 40 years ago. I'm afraid my reaction, though, was more along the lines of the Personage in the Suit, for all the good it did me. I had been conducting a case in court at the time and obviously could not leave to move my car. For some unknown reason, I assumed the bylaw tow truck guy would know this or figure it out, since I was parked in front of the court house. Yes, I was young and stupid in those days. Cost me a fortune to get my car back too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did wonder where the Merlin came from, assuming it was the name of the town where you live. Here now for the same offence, with towing fees, storage fees and the parking fine, you would be paying between $500 and $1000 for your mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story. I always assumed Merlin was the name of the town you lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it meant Maryland but not why you used it. I have actually heard people say it that way. Some call Georgia, Jawja. now that I am in Florida I think everyone knows how to say it. I also lived in Kentucky, better known as kaintukkkky back then. ouch on the tow truck fees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. Just when you thought you got good parking... Sorry about that, but at least you were able to get your car back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all learn the hard way that something too good to be true is. There is a popular restaurant about 15 miles from here in a small town with little good parking and there is some parking that looks too good to be true nearby-if you make the mistake of parking there you will be ticketed. I wonder how much revenue the town makes from that.(I haven't eaten there in years)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merlin, I think of Wizard
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete