Saturday, December 26, 2020

A Christmas Miracle

The cardinal rested for a short time
in the middle of the holiday greenery.


 This post is by my husband.


Christmas Eve. we're on the front porch and it's getting dark. Our older daughter, having brought over gifts, has just left. I reach to take off my mask and open the door to go in. As I enter, a bird flies into the house with me.

The bird, what kind I can't tell, flies pell-mell around the living room, confused by the indoor lights.  Dilly Dog dashes after it, equally pell-mell.  What to do? A dead bird would break my heart.

I call to Cynthia. First we turn off the lights to calm the bird. We shut bedroom doors to keep the bird in a small area of the house. Then I open a few outside doors, hoping the bird would fly out.

But I don't see the bird anymore. Flashlight in hand, I look around.  I even look on the floor, fearing the bird had knocked itself out. Nowhere.  Maybe I inadvertently shut him into a bedroom. Not there either.

So I go back to the living room and carefully scan the Christmas tree. Nope. A little to the left of the tree, I direct my flashlight beam along the fireplace mantle. There, amidst the Christmas greenery perches a real-life red cardinal.  My Christmas Miracle.

The bird flies to a nearby window, where I am able to get it open and guide him out. He flies off.

15 comments:

  1. That's a nice Christmas story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful ending.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cardinal is so beautiful. Thank you for saving its life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He just wanted to enjoy your Christmas decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this, then i read it out loud to my husband, then he said where is that? I said Merlin... what? he he he.... then he said they have cardinals in Maryland? I said of course they do. he said this time of year? i said everyone has cardinals this time of year.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and am going to pass iton to a few bird loving friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story, I do love a happy ending and beautiful mantle decorations. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Glad he made it out safe. Those critters sure know how to hide when we're trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing store and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful...

    But not for the bird.

    -smile-

    ✨🔥✨😊✨🔥✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor bird. I'm glad he was able to get out. I saw birds now and then in our local Home Depot (well, back in the days when we went in there) but they had a lot of room to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping you have an excellent 2021, Cynthia!!!!

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss your writings! I hope things are ok with you and your family!!!!

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  13. when i asked my doctor for a prescription for my goal weight, to take to TOPS, she said do not go below 150, and she suggested 155. she said at our age, we need extra weight in case we get sick, to thin is dangerous. i have been overweight every day of my life except in the 70's i starved myself to 138, i started fainting and he said i was in ketosis and to stop losing and gane 10 pounds. good luck...

    ReplyDelete