Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Jumping to Conclusions


 Can she bake a cherry pie?  Well, yes. It'll taste fine, but it'll look funny. 

Once I decided to go back to making pie crusts from scratch instead of buying a ready-made crust, I opened the door to madness. I followed the instructions for a double-crust 9-inch pie to the letter, but the crust always came up short. Now, shortness is a good thing in pie crusts when you're talking about flakiness, but not when you're referring to coverage. 

I was convinced that I was working with 9-inch pie plates. I measured the ingredients precisely. I rolled out the dough as thin as I could. There was never enough dough to go around. I double-checked the measurements. I added more water. I rolled the dough chilled. I rolled the dough warm. I blamed the humidity. The gap remained. Never quite enough dough. 

As a last resort, I measured the pie plates. Both are 10-inch plates.  I'd had them for decades, and just assumed they were standard 9-inch plates. Turns out the flakey one was me. Next time I will use the recipe for a double-crust 10-inch pie. 

9 comments:

  1. D'oh! When in doubt, test your assumptions, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. Make a bit more than you need and throw it out or feed it to your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always the obvious thing that you miss. At least you know what it was now. And it makes for a funny story. (I bet it tasted just fine no matter how it looked.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of good pies were tested, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the laugh out loud moments I love this! I use only Frozen crust from Walmart. I have never made a pie crust in my life I have used the kind in cans and the kind that are frozen. I mean why bother haha. That is just so funny that you thought you had nine and they were 10. Not only can I not bake and I don't follow recipes and it always tastes terrible I can't measure either so if I measured the 9 in it wouldn't be right. When I use a measuring tape say I'm supposed to cut for things into 10 each piece has one of them is always either too long or Too Short

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is why I don't make pies. Actually, not because I can't measure, but, rather, for just about any other reason. If there was a "Worst Pie Maker in America" show I would win it with no trouble. Sounds like you'll be fine once you get the right size pan!

    ReplyDelete