Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Incorrigible Mr. Zig-Zag



He looks so innocent. And mostly, he is. He can be affectionate and cuddly. Put him on a leash, though, and he turns into a monster.

He's our daughter's dog. A beagle. When she, her husband and two children flew to California to spend Christmas with Tom's family, they left Roscoe with us. My husband had just had knee surgery, so it was my job to walk both dogs every day. I had two daily routes mapped out:  a long one and a short one. In the interest of fairness, I planned to take one or the other on the longer walk every other day. That didn't work out. I soon found that Roscoe was just too much dog for me. Even taking him on the short walk just wore me out.

The dog dragged me along, constantly zig-zagging from side to side,  apparently following a scent.  He'd become breathless with excitement, emitting little yips.  Every few minutes--or so it seemed--he'd erupt into a full-throated bellow, trumpeting the news to his imaginary pack that he had scented a squirrel. It was embarrassing! How could a slender 25-pound dog make such a racket?

On New Year's Day,  his people returned. It was none too soon. His leash and kibble were packed before they even got here from the airport. "Oh, he was no trouble at all," I said as they all piled into their car for their journey home.

13 comments:

  1. ha ha, he is adorable, the ha ha was for the little white fib about no trouble at all. ha ha again. we have had five dogs and always used a leash, this time we are using a harness and what a world of difference. my friends dog was wild, the harness made him walk well. here is a link with a picture of it onBig Boys Blog https://fourpawsetc.blogspot.com/2018/12/walking-mr-bb.html . we could not believe the difference. and big weigh 75 pounds. I can't stand these new glasses, I am eagerly awaiting my antiquated granny glasses return to me next week with new prescripton. I have worn the same type glasses for almost 20 years. I don't care about fashion, just comfort

    ReplyDelete
  2. He’s adorable. But beagles are a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does look so innocent but is clearly not trained to walk on a leash. Some dogs settle down after a few minutes of craziness, but obviously not him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beagles are one strong dog! I knew a fellow once who restrained his beagle pup overnight with his chain through a cinder block. As the dog grew, he added cinder blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly he's a hunter by nature! Does your daughter read your blog, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My childhood bedroom had a window on the next door neighbor's yard. They had a beagle. Who would bark... It's amazing what you get used to. Too bad you didn't have a close by dog park where you could let him run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family pet was a beagle when I grew up and his name was Spot and was quite spoiled.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beagles ARE a lot of work, indeed. But, I believe the medium and large sized terriers (I have a Wheaton) are a close second!!! :). I know your pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW.... my Wheaton is so calm and docile around the house with the family..... but oh..... any new person... or anyone or anything when out on a walk...... she becomes SO VERY exuberant and excited she pulls, tugs, and wiggles so much that I think she will wiggle out of her own skin!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gibbs may be small but he's like that on a walk. He has way more energy than I do. But at least there's only one of him...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can think back to when I was a teen and I was walking my uncle's dog and - that was when I was younger and more agile. I grew up in a city housing project that didn't allow dogs or cats and I had zero experience with dogs. That dog had enough energy for three teens. Even now, I'm more of a cat person. I don't know what I would have done with Mr. Zig-Zag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water Hack Burns 2lb of Fat OVERNIGHT

    Well over 160 000 men and women are trying a easy and secret "liquid hack" to drop 2lbs each and every night in their sleep.

    It's effective and it works with everybody.

    This is how you can do it yourself:

    1) Go grab a drinking glass and fill it half glass

    2) And then do this weight losing hack

    and you'll be 2lbs skinnier in the morning!

    ReplyDelete