Friday, February 8, 2019

Fine Dining on Raccoon


We try to attend this community fundraiser if we happen to be in Danville, OH on the first Monday in February. Bad weather usually keeps us home in Maryland. This year, heavy snow delayed our start by one day.  There was little chance of encountering more snow the day we traveled, but the temperature was bitterly cold. We arrived at our gate at 5 PM, only to find a frozen padlock.  We have several very nice neighbors and one of them stopped by on his way home from the auto shop where he works to help us out. Thank you, Mike!

Temperatures reached the mid-fifties by the day of the dinner, four days later. We went to the dinner with a former neighbor, who used to live in the farmhouse down the road, but has now moved to town. We walked with him through misty rain and darkened streets to the parish hall of St. Luke's Catholic Church, where the dinner is always held.   Thank you, David!


About 500 raccoons are trapped or shot beginning in the fall and frozen at a local meat locker.  The weekend before the dinner they are "dressed" and roasted by volunteers. The dinner is served cafeteria style.  Mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn bread and green beans are piled on each plate as it passes down the line. At the end of the line, you have a choice of either raccoon or ham, and you get to select your own piece of home-made cake.  Raccoon does not "taste like chicken," but it's not that bad, either. My sister-in-law likens it to pot roast. 



There were also three raffles (two fifty-fifties and one for a rifle).  We didn't win. We never do, it seems, but I have no idea what we would have done with the rifle if we had won it.

The Danville High School Jazz Band began the evening's after-dinner entertainment in the high school auditorium, followed by "Chestnut Ridge," a local gospel/bluegrass group. Sorry for the man's cap. I'm a rank amateur at point-and-shoot photography.



As we were leaving, I happened to notice this sign above the trophy case in the hall.  You wouldn't think such a sign would be needed in a close-knit community like Danville, OH, but there it is, a sobering sign of the times. 


11 comments:

  1. My brothers used to give the raccoons they shot to my aunt, and she was grateful to stock her freezer. I still haven't had the pleasure. However, with or without ham, it looks like a mighty fine dinner. The old door frames and door are wonderful, and I did a double take on the April, 2019 date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never heard of raccoon meat. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I could eat raccoon meat, but it looks like a popular dinner. I wonder if more people choose raccoon or ham?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They actually eat raccoon? I hadn't considered that before. Glad you were able to make it this year in the bitter cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the first time I've heard of people eating raccoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe most rodents are innedible because of liver trouble.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I doubt I would be able to eat raccoon. I didn't know that anyone ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raccoon? Oh my. I knew some pet raccoons, so charming and amusing and intelligent. Could sift gently through a purse and find the candy at the bottom and delicately remove the wrapper. They had NAMES.

    My tummy didn't like this idea one bit. But then again I am aware dogs are a delicacy in some parts of the world too.

    Then rabbits? Fluffy bunnies are eaten here.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even know that racoons were eatable ! Poor things ! I eat less and less meat only beef and chicken and turkey nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no great love for raccoons. When I kept chickens years ago, raccoons were a major enemy, and I will not describe how they would kill my birds. I've eaten elk, venison, squirrel, rattlesnake, (wild) rabbit and (wild) frog legs, but I'm not sure I would want to take on raccoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forsythia:

    That is so very neat and interesting that the community has a sort of "Racoon Festival" of sorts!!!! I like that a lot.

    You mention that it does not taste like chicken.... to me, I am guessing it may have a similar flavor to goat or to rabbit. If you have had either, does that seem close?

    I do not know if I would be successful in trying racoon. I am somewhat "squeamish" about meats and typically only eat a small amount of chicken, turkey or fish. But, I am game (pun intended) to TRY these other options... but rarely get past one bite. But, at least I can now say I do know what rabbit tastes like and what goat tastes like. I would sincerely give my "at least one bite" approach a try if I ever have the opportunity with racoon.

    The rest of the event also looked like a very nice time too!

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete