Sunday, August 10, 2014

What Shamu Taught Me about Life Love and Marriage


What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their TrainersWhat Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their Trainers by Amy Sutherland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am interested in the subject of "animal training," especially when the primates I have in mind happen to be members of my own family. I hope that what I've learned about positive reinforcement and ignoring behavior I don't like will do the trick. I know that, in the past, I have inadvertently reinforced unwelcome behavior by nagging, advising, commenting or overreacting. We'll see if I can change my behavior and if my changed behavior results in more fun and fewer arguments. The author has a pithy style, laced with humor. I enjoyed the book very much.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Our first dog Pepper, a Dalmatian, had the misfortune to be the pet of two naive people who worked long hours and left him alone all day. He took to chewing up the mail which came through the slot in the front door while we were gone.. We would come home and yell at him in exasperation, and nothing changed. Finally, as two therapists by profession, we decided to try something different. We would come home, totally ignore the mail shreds, greet Pepper warmly, and while Ron took him out for a walk, I would clean up the mess and we would say nothing about it. The behavior stopped cold in two days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a similar experience with our pup. I will check out this book.

    ReplyDelete