Sunday, November 23, 2008

Requiem for a Gravy Separator

Thanksgiving is coming and the turkey's dripping fat.

We used to have the best gravy separator ever. In addition to a spout, this one featured a trap door on the bottom. You slid the trap door open to drain the broth and shut it when only the grease was left. One day it developed a hairline crack. It is now one of my grandson's favorite bathtub toys.

How I miss it. The ones with just spouts don't do it for me. No matter how deftly you try to pour the broth--(and no one has ever called me deft)--some grease comes along for the ride. I have scoured the internet for a replacement. How many times have I been lured to a site by promises of "the best gravy separator ever" only to be disappointed with the same old, same old. Spouts, spouts, and more spouts. Spouts up high, spouts down low, spouts with stoppers.

Bleh!

No comments:

Post a Comment