Friday, June 5, 2020

The Dog Ate It


We worked for two or three weeks to finish this challenging 1000-piece puzzle. It's a Paris street scene. As usual, once I'd put together the border and laid out all the pieces, I was sure that there weren't nearly enough pieces. Halfway to completion, I knew there were most certainly enough. In the end, however, three pieces did turn out to be missing. 

Dilly-Dog was the suspected culprit. Since we couldn't pass this puzzle on to someone else, Phil put a piece on the floor and waited to see what would happen. Sure enough, our "starving" roly-poly dog scarfed it up. Phil had to pry it out of her mouth. From now on, no unchaperoned pieces! All unattached pieces must be sequestered in designated waiting areas (tray, box lid, plastic compartment) so that none wander afar and fall off the edge of their world.

13 comments:

  1. There's nothing worse than finishing a puzzle only to find pieces missing. Have you considered a dog shaming? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to choose which habit to shame. Last night, she was a perfect ninny over a minor thunder storm and didn't let us get much sleep.

      Delete
  2. Dilly-Dog, you little rascal! My cat, Her Royal Highness, used to walk over uncompleted jigsaws and pieces would stick to her moist little paws. Later, we'd find them on the floor. But at least she never ate or even chewed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many times I have been convinced there are missing jigsaw pieces and I've always been wrong. I would never buy a second hand jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like something my Gibbs would do. He's been known to snitch things while I'm not looking

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have worked hard on that puzzle. It took me 6 months to do 1000 piece. Would work for a few days and then leave it for weeks!

    Yes we call them Canadian Geese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad dog! But this brings me to memories of years ago, when my son was young and I would buy jigsaw puzzles at garage sales. Many times, pieces were missing. Did the previous owner's dog steal the piece? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was brand new. I wouldn't be comfortable giving away or trying to sell a puzzle with missing pieces. While adults might be able to take a few missing pieces in stride, it's probably harder for a child.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! I understand your pain! Our dog eats all sorts of non food items too! Including an entire pair of eyeglasses that were only a week old! In that case, we had to call the emergency 24 hour veterinarian... who gave us the wonderful idea of giving the dog about 15 cc of hydrogen peroxide, which would make her vomit in about 10 minutes. I waded through the vomit and pieced back together the entire set of pieces of glasses to ensure they were out of her system.

    Earlier, by a few months she ate an entire bath towel.... and we did not know it until she pooped it out. It was scary too.

    Luckily, I think a cardboard puzzle piece or two or three will pass through easily for your dog.

    PipeTobacco

    (Earlier post deleted because of numerous typographical errors that I fixed and then reposted.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you managed to narrow down and pin point the real culprit.

    ReplyDelete