Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Drunk White Kid Falls Asleep in His Car


My 81-year-old husband shares a "white privilege" memory. This happened in Cleveland, OH in the late fifties. 
Rayshard Brooks drank too much and fell asleep in his car. We know what happened to him. As a young man, I also drank too much and fell asleep in my car. But today, here I am, able to write about it. Unlike Rayshard, I am white, blond and blue-eyed.
Here’s what happened. During the summer between high school and college, my friends and I decided we’d go bar hopping. I had a car, so I was the driver. We did what we planned, and it was time to go home. I drove my friends home, one by one.
Next thing I knew, someone was rapping on my drivers-side window. It was a policeman waking me up at a traffic light. He said I needed to go to the station.
“OK, Officer, I’ll follow you.”
“You aren’t driving anywhere. I’ll get someone to drive your car in.”
At the station an officer said to blow into some kind of a tube. He then appeared to read a number off a machine, and said, “You’re not drunk”. Of course I was. “Here are your keys. Your car is in the front lot. Go to your car and take a nap. Then drive home very carefully.”
I didn’t wait as long as I should have before driving home. It was around two AM. I remember biting my lip to stay awake the whole way. I made it home, but I didn’t make it to my bed. I was on the sofa mid-morning, with my mother looking down at me, silent but worried.
So, I got a bit of a different outcome, didn’t I?

7 comments:

  1. A good illustration of "it's not what you do, it's who you are."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is sunny now and just a memory but it could have had a different ending even for a white kid but if it happened with a kid of color it would have had a different story even way back then

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband, as a college student trying to work three jobs (one full time and two part time) to pay tuition, fell asleep after a day of school and a night of work and going to a bar with some of his work buddies after. It had a different outcome, too. Yes. The story of Rayshard Brooks is one that shook him up (he's now a senior citizen) because...we can identify with the different outcomes due to our skin color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one who also pass out (fell asleep) in my car in my younger day.

    ReplyDelete