Monday, November 23, 2020

A Poem: Sled Ride


I wrote this poem about a childhood memory nearly10 years ago. Mother's second husband-to-be lived on a street parallel to our own, separated by Shady Brook Park. On snowy days Mother would often pull my sister and me through the park on a sled. One day we just happened to meet up with a man we didn't know.

Two tiny girls

capped and mittened,

snug on a baby's sled,

Mother's boots squeaking

in the crisp, new snow 

as she pulled us along, 

down the hill

and through the park, 

across the creaky wooden bridge.


The stream trickled slowly

as water stood freezing in the pond.

Bare branches rattled in the ice-blue sky,

clutching at winter as if to hold it close.


Spring was stirring in our mother's frozen heart.

Who was this man we didn't know?

Her smile was warm as April,

her laughter, dazzling as crystals.

Who was this man out walking in the snow?

 


13 comments:

  1. Love this! It's right to the point so this means you were meeting your stepfather but didn't know it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was always "Charles" to me. I never saw him as a stepfather because I rarely saw my mother after the divorce.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I actually remember sled rides and the fact that he lived on the other side of the park, but several blocks down that street, and I remember cold winters, but as for the rest . . ...

      Delete
  3. Powerful poem. I can imagine the scene exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun...
    and in Seventh-Heaven,
    we'll be able to do that 24/7!!
    GBY

    ReplyDelete