Tuesday, December 4, 2018

How I Got A Free Thanksgiving Turkey

That's not me. That's my sister-in-law sneaking tidbits to our dog, as usual  It was the only picture I could come up with that was vaguely suggestive of Thanksgiving. I tried to find a picture of a turkey on one of those "free pictures" internet sites, but got scared off by the confusing terms and conditions and a loud voice that proclaimed, after a few clicks, that "You're almost done!"  I bailed out.

So, anyway, it was a year ago when I got the free turkey.  Our younger daughter hosts Thanksgiving for the extended family (the older one does Christmas and I do Easter), so we didn't need a turkey for just the two of us. Last year, my husband and I once again volunteered to roast a 20-pound turkey for our church's community Thanksgiving dinner, so I needed to get a turkey for that. 

I found a bargain at Food Lion.  A 21-pound turkey @ $0.89 a pound.  I added a number of other items to my cart and paid with my debit card, my mind wandering off in other directions.  When I checked the sales slip at home, I was horrified to see that I had been charged over $50 for the bird. 

The next day I returned to the supermarket, sales slip in hand. When I complained about not getting the bargain I'd expected, the manager said, "You have to spend at least $35.00 on other items in order to qualify for the lower price on the turkey."

"What!?!"  I was incredulous.

"It says so on the sign by the turkeys," she replied.  A little smugly, I thought. 

I went to check. Sure enough, under the eye-catching "89 cents a pound"  someone had written "with a purchase of $35" in very small green letters. 

Returning to the manager, I said, "OK, so now I've read the sign.  Yesterday, I didn't buy enough to get the lower price. Can I just make up the difference today and get the lower price?"

"I'm afraid not, " she said. "You'll have to bring the items you bought back to the store so we can void the sales slip. Then you'll need to buy . . .

"OK, OK, I get it, " I said, crossly. "I'll be back." Why was she making things so complicated?  Maybe she hoped I'd just go away.  No chance of that.  I was not about to pay top dollar for a turkey we were going to donate.

I drove the 4 miles back home to retrieve the items I'd bought yesterday. When I got back to the store, the manager wheeled the cart to a counter where a young man waited. It was probably his first day on the job. He looked scared and confused as she rattled off her instructions. "Just give her a refund for all these items on the sales slip and set them aside for re-shelving."  

Meanwhile, I went shopping once again for the re-shelved items, plus as many more as I needed to reach $35.00. 

The same young man totaled up my new order. He was nervous. I was rattled. I just wanted to get out of there.  Once in my car, I looked at the sales slip. Something was wrong. This time the amount was too low. I soon saw why. The young man had neglected to charge me for the turkey.

I went back in the store, sales slip in hand. The manager wearily shot me a "You-again-what-do-you-want-this-time?" look. 

"He forgot to charge me for the turkey." 

She snatched the sales slip and studied it. The young man looked on anxiously from his counter.  It seems he had voided the higher price for the turkey, but had forgotten to charge me the lower price I was now entitled to. 

"Oh, forget it!" she finally exclaimed, exasperated. "I'm got going through all that again. You got yourself a free turkey." 




7 comments:

  1. wow, here in Ohio it is against the law to reshelve returned food items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ming: might be illegal here in MD too. Canned goods might be OK, but a turkey?? Come to think of it, I haven't seen that manager at that particular store recently.
    I've heard of Van Wert. A college room-mate who had a German-speaking grandmother told me that Grandma pronounced the name as "Wan Vert."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there a law about reshelving return food items in Idaho. But when food get close to expiration date it usual mark down 50 to 75% off. Or it donated to local food bank.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you. Perseverance paid off handsomely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story and good for you for your generous volunteer work.
    A friend here is single and attends a kind of potluck Thanksgiving for "orphan" friends. She roasts and takes the turkey. Last year the store had a very low price per pound for turkeys if you spent at least $100. She does not shop much for herself as she uses a lot of take out places. Anyway, she went round the store trying to bring her total up to $100. Was putting in all kinds of super deli treats and deluxe pastries for herself. At the cash register the bill was about $250!!!! She decided this year to take along her calculator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best free turkey story I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete